Sunday, January 30, 2011

Video: Little Steven's International Underground Garage Festival 2004

I'm sure anyone coming to this site has at least a passing idea of the existence of Little Steven's Underground Garage, so I won't go into great detail here. Well in 2004 when Sirius was launching the Underground Garage channel, Van Zandt talked them into putting on a huge one day music festival to demonstrate what "Garage Rock" is.
Little Steven's International Underground Garage Festival was a great mixture of older acts (The Pretty Things, New York Dolls, Bo Diddley) with newer acts (The Stems, The Flaming Sideburns, Swingin' Neckbreakers). However, there were also a few turds in the mix too (The Strokes - 'nuff said). The whole event was to be filmed in 3-D by Hollywood director Chris Columbus (Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire) for theatrical release. However, for some reason all did not go to plan & outside of a few film festival showings, all the footage has remained unreleased.
Unfortunately the videos below are not from the professionals, but from a guy who brought in his cam-corder. These show some of the event troubles that (I'm guessing) are missing from the official footage. Such as stage announcers that are clearly out of touch with the acts they are introducing, sound issues & just how annoying (and out of place) go-go dancers are in 2004.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at this festival, and I liked the go go dancers. I don't know why you found them annoying.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 8:09:00 AM PDT
gerhard d said...

one of the most amazing lineups ever to bad the stage screwed up I'd kill to see that film

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 2:50:00 PM PST
Anonymous said...

I went to this festival! There's barely any info out there on it, anymore, and I've always wondered what happened to that DVD they announced and filmed there. That shit was funny.

I loved the concert, as a whole, and even though I hated The Strokes going in, they won me over at the show and I became a fan since. It's kind of crazy, considering it was one of the aspects of the show I pretty much already loathed before we got there, and it was one of the most memorable moments of the night after.

Oh to be 18 again.

Friday, August 24, 2012 at 3:21:00 PM PDT