Sunday, September 13, 2009

Open letter to the listeners: I hate the ads too!

A few months back I signed up with the people who host the show files, to allow them to do some advertising on my show. I thought that it would just require me to mention a bit about the sponsor every few shows and provide a few links here on the site. After listening to the feed this week I realize that was not all.
Part of my agreement included having to do a cold read ad for them to use in my feed. I guess I was naive enough to think this would only effect people who listened to the show via the Mevio Player. Instead they went and attached this ad to the front of every MP3 on my feed, even the ones from before I signed up for their advertising.
Well, this puts me a position I never wanted to be in before. I feel that I need to apologize to listeners & guests of the show. I never wanted to whore out the show, or force advertisers upon anyone. My intentions were only to possibly make a small amount of revenue to cover my low operating costs (Skype, CDs, equipment upgrades, etc).
I have asked to leave the Mevio advertisers program. Hopefully they will remove the ads they placed on the files. If not I will make sure to replace each show in the feed with my original copies.

-John

2 comments:

JM Dobies said...

I have signed up with them as well, and have been adding my own pre-roll. so far, they haven't messed with the files, but maybe they have yet to get around to it...

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 12:14:00 PM PDT
MonkeyBeat said...

I'm not saying that Mevio is a bad company or that they screwed me over in anyways. I still plan on hosting my files there.
I just realized that it's not for me.
Plus I like to really take time tailoring my show opens and feel that the pre-rolls really limit them from having an impact on the listener.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 12:46:00 PM PDT